Saturday, September 5, 2009

Students

                          
 Today we had registration. I was assigned to help at the financial desk, collecting money and writing receipts. I had another girl working with me that spoke Arabic so I wasn’t completely lost. I was actually very surprised at how much English the students already know. 95% of them could probably carry on a good conversation with you. The rumor that Egyptians are very warm and kind people is no longer a rumor but a definite reality to me. A lot of them wanted to shake my hand, find out my name, what classes I was teaching, where I was from, and how I was doing so far. I also found there is a lot of diversity within the students. There were obviously a lot of Egyptians but we have almost just as many Sudanese kids who are refugees. One thing I was really not expecting was that almost every Sudanese kid that came through wanted to know if I played basketball!! Apparently that is their favorite sport so I was super excited. I guess that answers everyone’s question of whether or not they play basketball here. I’m excited to see how they do in P.E.
            After all the day’s activities Alec (another SM) wanted to go to town to get some church clothes and asked if Paul (another SM) and I wanted to come along. An Egyptian offered to take us since we still don’t know how to get around. Now another Sudanese kid came with us because he doesn’t live in the dorm and he was going home. I got to talking with him and asked if he had always lived here. He said no and that he moved here in 2001. He hasn’t seen his family since!!! Now I’m not gonna lie I miss my family terribly right now and I have been gone for 4 days!! Imagine 9 years!!!! He even paid for our bus ride to the train station and refused to let me pay him back. It’s just amazing to see people who have so little who are willing to do anything for you.
            Once we got to the market it was complete chaos. People are everywhere!! Just to give you an idea, Cairo has 7 times the population density as New York City. Now we’re not in Cairo but it’s definitely still bad. It’s like walking down and normal size street at home but every single person in town is on that street, cars are driving on it, vendors have to periodically shift their carts just so cars can get through. Oh and don’t forget the ever present mountain of trash that is everywhere!! I will say though that if I owned a used car dealership I would hire an Egyptian to stand outside and get people to come in. They yell constantly!!! One guy who was selling purses had completely lost his voice so he just started banging them together, while still trying to yell!! I have never seen someone who wanted to sell a purse so badly. He would swing them around and even nailed a lady in the head with one (she didn’t buy it).
            Over all, I love Egypt already. Yes it’s loud outside the school. Yes it’s the dirtiest place I have ever seen in my life. And yes, it’s probably going to be the hardest year of my life. But the people make up for all of it. Not just the students but the people outside the walls. It seems to be a very giving culture and a very peaceful one. Some people may think I’m crazy and I may get tired of it at some point but I love the call to prayer. It’s like being in a scene from Black Hawk Down every time they start praying. Ok that’s not the only reason I like it. I guess it just sounds really cool to me. 

7 comments:

  1. Ha, Ha, Ha! I loved the purse story! Wow! I felt like I was there with you! Buddy, your family misses you too! My prayers are with you all the time that God be with you all the time! Awesome that you have met such great people...! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michael! It sounds like you are starting to get a real taste of the culture. Thanks for sharing! May the Lord Bless you as you work with the people. May they see Jesus through you! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael! I love hearing about everything that is going on over there! I miss you lots and I'm praying for you. I know God will use you in amazing ways! Love you lots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for writing! Michael, be sure to remember all those especial experiences in your life of the lives of the Egyptians! Write notes, at the end, you will be able to put them in a book... I like the way you expressed your adventures. God have great things for you. Take care... Love you more.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good stuff Michael. Good to hear you are diving in to the deep end early. Going to the market already?? Ballsy dude. Nice. By the way you can thank the YMCA and US Army for spreading the basketball fever around Europe during WW1. Those were the early days when it was really getting popular. The soldiers would play during their off time and most European got to see the game for the first time. The Air Force guys were playing Golf. BTW FIBA has one of their main offices in Cairo.. Stop pretending you didn't know that man...BUSTED!! You picked Egypt because they are the European Basketball capital of the WORLD!!! Anyways....good job. Keep the stories coming. They are great!! Hope the Egyptians open up a can of whoop ass on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael, sounds like you're having such a great time. I'm so excited for you. Good thing you like the call to prayer, because it drove me crazy at first when I was there. Anyways, keep up the good work and know that you are a blessing to the very people that are blessing you. We sent your first package so look for that in the mail.

    - Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks to me you are already writing part of the story of your travel to Egypt. Just keep a diary for 295 days you will be there and you will have a book of about that number of pages written at the end. There is nothing better than going through the experience for writing a story. Perhaps you do not think about that now, but who knows if time would some day open that window?. The story of that boy, with 9 years w/o seeing his family is already intriguing to me. It is good to know his story. Love you, Abuelo.

    ReplyDelete